''A first-time Symposium experience''

‘’A first-time Symposium experience’’ 

 

When I think of all the accomplishments that I had experienced, all the wisdom that I had to acquire through every lesson; it just keeps me with the feeling of holding on board off to the next chapter of a new journey. That is how I felt when I heard about our most prominent event in class, the symposium. I have never attended an event of such magnitude, and as the professor was talking about it in class, I felt a rush of nervousness and excitement at the same time. The event was tremendous gratitude for a student to be part of such an event, whether a participant or just by being a viewer. Either way is a feeling of achievement that I'm sure most students feel because that is what school is for to develop your fullest potential and feel pleased with whatever you want to pursue after with a handful of knowledge. We had like a month and a week to prepare for the most significant event in our class, but the time seemed like a marathon for most of us. We chose the topic of mental health awareness because the whole class decided to deliver and learn once more about the importance of mental health; so all the students and the professor created subtopic on specifics aspects like ours on raising awareness and others like disabilities and computer use, coping with anxiety and caring for mental health, and advantages to getting treated for anxiety. Those brainstorming ideas were great for our presentation projects. 

            Each day in class, we were separated into groups to keep working in the presentation, sharing and discussing content, or ensuring that the structure was adequately organized to meet the criteria given. The visual of the presentation needed to look good and engaging, but at the same time clear for the viewers to read and understand the material well; that was one of the goals. That is why our tech Ana chose a beautiful light blue background color with cartoonish nurses at the edge on each slide, representing kindness and reminding the audience of the theme of health. It wasn't easy to get across with a reasonable and adequate amount of information. Still, thankfully we were delighted with such professional and experienced people that were introduced in class for a few days. They provide us with a reasonable explanation and examples of various cases of mental disorders, the available programs that help tremendously anyone that may experience any kind of disorder, and how it is ok to accept without feeling shame. After that, we were able to recreate and gather helpful resources about our topic and even share some of our experiences with the theme. Finally, the presentation day came, and every other group did spectacularly well. We were the first, although we were nervous and there was a time limit, we believed that we could do it, so we did it. Every other group kept the pace of their presentation and delivered extraordinary and beneficial information about one of the main topics that deeply affects society. 

             The experiences that I got from this fantastic event were life-changing not only for the viewers but for me as well. When I was younger, around 8 or 9 years old, I suffered depression due to my parents' separation, along with my father leaving the country to start a new life without my mom and me. The situation affected me deeply, and from that, my childhood was not the same. As I was growing up with my mom and my grandma, I saw every day how my mom was also the man in the family supporting our needs financially. Therefore, everything that she needed help from, I was always there next to her and left aside going out with friends. I preferred to stay with her and hang out with adults that could teach me valuable lessons to make better decisions in the future. Although I never told my mom how I felt at that moment, her mother's instincts knew that I was not entirely happy during the time, so thanks to her, she took me to see a professional psychologist. After that, I was better and even got my now actual dog, "Puchy." I am sure that we all experienced traumas or delicate situations as a child or teenager, but the importance is that we later recognize that the problem only stays as a problem if we let them and keep it hidden. Willing to open up and admit that you have depression, anxiety, or any mental issue is not being weak; on the contrary, it is a sign that you have the courage and determination to get through your downfalls. I hope those messages given at each presentation keep being spread as one of many more encouragements for mental awareness.  We can help each other on this difficult but not impossible journey towards getting better not only mentally but physically as well.  I believe everyone deserves to have the chance to be treated as well as supported either by families or friends.  

            I wanted to add that in general terms being able to share such an important topic through public speaking has given me the confidence to enjoy the course and learn from it as much as possible for future relations. As I said in my last blog, public speaking is an essential tool that you hold for life. It is up to you to gather your own conclusions and learn from experiences that only make us enhance our knowledge and improve our skills every day. Now, we are almost at the end of the semester and I am pleased with everything that I have done and experienced with every single student, group leaders, and of course, the professor. I hope that this last presentation on persuasion would be as amazing as the ones before or even better. Finally, I want to thank in advance MDC for offering me the opportunity of being part of a second family.

Comments

Post a Comment